Mickey Raphael, Willie Nelson’s famed harmonica player, joins me on the show this month. And while he has graced the stage and recorded with Willie for over 45 years, Mickey has also racked up an incredible list of credits, working with Jason Isbell, Townes Van Zandt, Chris Stapleton, Tom Morello, Paul Simon, Snoop Dogg, Neil Young, Norah Jones, Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, Emmylou Harris, Mötley Crüe, Wynton Marsalis, and many more. Mickey and I spoke over the phone on a Willie Nelson Tour stop, and had a chance to discuss his early days in the Dallas music scene, how he first sat in with Willie, and in his own words “just never left”, recording classic records like “Red Headed Stranger”, “Teatro” and “Stardust”, right up through Willie’s most recent records and his work with Chris Stapleton. Enjoy my conversation with Mickey Raphael!
If you enjoy the podcast, we could use your help to keep it going!
There are many expenses involved in keeping this show going, including hosting, editing, and promotion. We rely on contributions from our listeners to accomplish all of this. Here are a few ways you can help out:
1. Become a regular financial backer with a monthly contribution through Patreon
2. Leave a great review and subscribe at Apple Podcasts
3. Order a T-Shirt and be the coolest kid on the block!
4. Tell someone you know that would like the show about it - word of mouth helps a great deal!
4. Make a one-time donation of any amount at the link below:
If you’ve enjoyed this episode, you’re sure to find more that will be of interest. Click here to view the other podcast episodes
And finally… If you feel so inclined, please take take a few minutes to complete our Audience Listener Survey.